Saturday, January 30, 2016

Blog Hop - Charlotte and Easter

Welcome to the Stampers with an Attitude blog hop. This is my first time I am participating in this particular blog, I needed to give myself more specific reasons to keep up my blog this year so I'm trying to participate in more blog hops and like the different themes to keep me challenged with trying out new techniques and different styles. If you came from Melissa Robinson's blog, you are in the right place!

I've seen a few different coffee cup card gift holders showing up on Pinterest and was inspired to try one out after I got my Cricut Aristry cartridge and noticed there is a coffee cup ready and waiting to print.  For this blog hop, we are showcasing either Easter themed items or the new Charlotte paper pack.  I'm sure you'll find some creative types who managed to work both themes into a single item; I decided to stick with the Charlotte paper for this project.  Let's start with the final product and then I'll walk you through the set-up.


I think it turned out pretty cute and even better, it is a gift card holder as well.  This is the inside (please disregard the extra line under the sentiment, I ran out of time to fix it before posting, it's been a crazy week.)


Here are the steps for making this card, it's a bit more complicated than my normal cards so I made myself some templates for the hand cut pieces and I'm sure it will go much quicker next time I decide to use this type of card.

Prep all your card base pieces using White Daisy cardstock:

  • Artistry cartridge - page 5, cut the coffee cup at 5.5"
  • Then make your card base by tracing the outline of the coffee cup on a separate piece of folded cardstock (you want a fold so you can hide the gift card inside) leave a little extra room at the top, your finished piece will be 9" by 3.25" at it's widest.  Score at 1 5/8" and 6 1/8"
  • Then trace the coffee cup lid using White Daisy (ink it all up with a Versamark pad and heat emboss with white powder to give it a nice finish, I promise, it really looks like an actual lid!)
  • Last step is to cut another piece of White Daisy at 2" x 5" and score it at 1/2" and 4"
At this point, you'll end up with pieces that look like this:



For assembly and finishing:
  • Attach the lid to the card front. 
  • Then use double sided tape to center and adhere the 1/2" flap of the insert piece onto the front flap of the card base, aligning the edges. 
  • Next use Liquid Glass along the very outside edges of the card base fold up the bottom of the card, make sure you the leave the insert free to slide up and down 
  • Attach the card base to the card front
  • Cut a piece of Charlotte paper at 1 1/2"x 2 3/4", mount on the bottom of the card (you will have some overlap)
  • Cut  a piece of Desert Sand paper at 2" x 4" and emboss with the diamond embossing folder
  • Adhere a 4" strip of the Charlotte B&T Duo paper to each side of the Desert Sand paper
  • Attach the Desert Sand piece along the top of the Charlotte paper, trim the edges
  • Cut a tag at 1 1/4" from page 36 of the Artiste Cricut Cartridge, ink Happy Birthday with Sorbet
  • Include a sentiment inside; I used one from the January Stamp of the Month - Beloved Bouquet
I also found this tutorial on Splitcoast stampers with more pictures and step by step instructions (I adjusted the measurements a bit so I could use the Artistry cut as my starting point.)

Supplies used:
Charlotte paper pack
Cardstock: White Daisy and Desert Sand
Inks: Versamark and Sorbet
White embossing powder
Diamond embossing folder

Feel free to browse my website for more inspiration from Close To My Heart if you don't already have a consultant.  Otherwise, I will send you off to Vickie O'Dell to see what she has created for us.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...